AVOID BAD DENTAL HABITS AND STAY HEALTHY
IT IS SAID THAT “PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE”
There are many habits that we can avoid to keep our oral cavity health.
- CHEWING OR SMOKING TOBACCO– smoking or chewing tobacco is harmful for our oral health it not only stain the teeth, even causes periodontitis and also leads to cancer sometimes.
2. BINGE ON SUGARY SNACKS– Sugar promotes acid production in the mouth which causes tooth decay. Longer the acid attack more the destruction of tooth .
Moreover chewing candies like gummies can stick in your mouth. Eating fruits and vegetables that produced more of saliva or rinsing after the food can help in reducing caries.
3. DRINKING SODA AND OTHER CARBONATED DRINKS– Carbonated drinks like Pepsi and other soft drinks are harmful for our oral cavity. They provide energy as they are rich in sugar. all these drinks erode the enamel layer and exposes the dentin with constant attack of acid causing bacteria . it is recommended to use sugar free drinks and water
4. BRUSHING TOO HARD- Brushing is recommended at the time of eruption of our teeth. But brushing aggressively can erode the upper layer of enamel. Which is called as abrasion? It increases the sensitivity of teeth towards hot and cold substances. After the layer of enamel is reduced is removed. Dentinal tubes are exposed which causes extreme pain in the tooth. So it is always advisable to do brushing with soft bristles toothbrush and apply less amount of pressure. Gently massage your tooth and gums with soft bristle toothbrush for better removal of
PICTURE: GUM RECESSION BECAUSE OF FAULTY TOOTHBRUSHING
5. CHEWING ON ICE, PENS AND PENCILS– I met many people daily who are in a bad habit of eating their nails. While we are in stress or concentrating, unknowingly we wear our nails and pencils, pens. We are not even aware of the urge to chomp while we are concentrating, while we are concentrating this habit can destroy our tooth structure.
If you want to overcome this habit, then start using sugarless chewing gum. It helps not only reducing your urge but preserve your tooth structure also.
PICTURE: LOSS OF TOOTH STRUCTURE BECAUSE OF CHEWING PENS AND PENCILS
6. CONSUMPTION OF EXCESS AMOUNT OF TEA AND COFFEE– Nowadays many people are in a habit of excess consumption of tea and coffee. Imagine a date without coffee or tea or business meetings without them.
As we all know excess of everything is bad. Coffee and tea stains our teeth, which reduces our appearance. But the best part is there is always a solution for that. If they have already stained your teeth than go for bleaching or otherwise sipping on fresh water can also help.
7. OPENING PACKAGES OR BOTTLES FROM YOUR TEETH– it seems convenient for time being to use our tooth as bottle opener. But it is never advisable to use them as opener.
By applying extreme pressure on our teeth, we lead in destruction of periodontal tissue which can cause mobility. Moreover, some time it can cause fracture of teeth.
Always use bottle opener for bottles and scissors for packets.
8. GRINDING TEETH- Stress which is common among individual after corona. Sometimes it leads to grinding of teeth which is very common phenomenon while we sleep.
Stress, sleeping habits, anger sometimes resulting in grinding of teeth which affects our anterior teeth. Commonly it is seen in night so called night grinding. It recommended to wear night guard to avoid tooth grinding.
9. PLAYING CONTACT SPORTS WITHOUT A MOUTH GUARD
Playing contact games like boxing etc. there is an increase chances of sports injury to your front teeth. So sports association has made guidelines to wear a night guard which protects your teeth. Injury can cause chipping of teeth, fracture even tooth structure can also be lost.
Wear guard whenever you indulge yourself in these kinds of games.
PICTURE: NIGHT GUARD