Why should you understand the importance of Dental Prevention?
“Prevention is the key to maintain good health”
Mouth is considered as the gateway of body.
Good Oral Health can impact your general health, as well.
What is Preventive Dentistry?
Preventive dentistry is dental care that helps maintain good oral health. Its combination of regular dental checkup.
It starts from early childhood when our mother starts taking care of our teeth. She assist us in brushing our teeth and visiting dentist.
PICTURE: MOTHER ASSISTING KID IN BRUSHING
Common Preventive measures includes:
- Regular Dental Visit.
- Maintaining Good Oral Hygiene by brushing twice daily.
- Healthy Diet
- X-Rays if required.
Patient’s role in maintaining good oral hygiene
Developing healthy dental habits early in life can help reduce caries.
How to maintain good oral hygiene?
- Brush your teeth at least 2 times a day usually morning and evening using a soft bristle toothbrush and a fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss daily so that extra stuck food can be removed between the teeth. Sometimes, food lodgment also causes bad breath.
- Avoid acidic foods that can harm tooth enamel and causes sensitivity to tooth structure.
- Sometimes biting on hard foods like walnuts and candies can chip of some of the tooth structure.
- Don’t smoke, it not only stains your teeth but also can cause cancer.
- If you have a habit of night grinding, visit your dentist and use night guard.
- While playing contact sports wear night guard as it prevents injury to front teeth.
Dentist that offer preventive care?
1.General Dentist : General dentist can help you with your routine dental checkup . They can also do routine X-rays and fillings and cleaning of teeth.
2.Pedodontist: Provides both preventive as well as specialized care when needed include extractions, fillings and oral surgery for kids. It can continue till teenage.
3.Endodontist: Provides both conservation and preventive treatment to the patients. Perform Root canal of tooth structure to preserve and to stop the further infection spread.
PICTURE: HAPPY PATIENT OF DENTEM DENTAL CLINIC
Preventive Dentistry for children
1. As soon as child gets their first tooth erupted preventive dental care begins.
2. They can identify problems in your child at regular basis.
3. It promotes good dental habit include brushing and flossing, guidance on thumb sucking habits which can be because of stress.
4. Fluoride application.
5. Routine X- rays.
6. Referrals to other dental specialists as needed.
- Lower your risk of developing future dental problems.
- Promote good oral hygiene.
- Early identification of dental problems.
- Enables your dentist to do a full examination of your mouth, jaw, neck etc.
- Helps reduce dental problems related to chronic medications like Diabetes, osteoporosis, cancer and eating disorders.